4 Serial Communication Channels, Programmable RS-232/422/485, Isolated
Serial Communication Module SC5 provides up to 4 high-speed, programmable RS-232/422/485, individually isolated communication channels. Each channel is programmable for either RS-422/485 (differential, DF) or RS-232 (single ended, SE) hardware level interfaces. Individual channel isolated returns are available as part of the channel user interface signal set (for SE or ISO-GND reference).
Each channel has one Transmit and one Receive signal pair (+/-) available, as applicable. Synchronous (SYNC) communications mode automatically configures the clock (CLK) signal(s) on the associated channel (added feature, as compared to the older-GEN deprecated SC2 function module). If Asynchronous (ASYNC) mode is programmed, the (CLK) signals can also be repurposed as a general-purpose output, with the signal voltage levels programmed as per the selected hardware interface level mode (RS-232/422/485).
- Four (4) high-speed, programmable RS-232/422/485, isolated serial communication channels
- Data Rates: Asynchronous (ASYNC) to 1.5 Mbps, Synchronous (SYNC) to 10 Mbps (high resolution programmable baud rates)
- SYNC Clock or General-Purpose Output
- Data transfers within (2) baud clocks for ASYNC communications, (15) for SYNC communications
- Digital Noise filtering on Receivers
- A Receiver Enable/Disable function allows the user to turn selected receivers ON/OFF.
- Common API/Register memory map with NAI SC3 module
- Number of Channels/Types: Four (4) high-speed, programmable RS-232/422/485, independently isolated. Each channel has one Tx, Rx and CLK (or General-purpose Output) signal pair (±) including an Isolated GND/Return reference.
- Data Rate: RS422 and RS-485:1.5 Mb/s for each channel in asynchronous, or 10 Mb/s synchronous, differential mode (burst); RS-232: 250 Kb/s. Data rate will be within 1% of commanded rate. Data can be read 4 µs after receipt in UART (typical bus transfer). These data rates are verified with all channels running simultaneously.
- Data Transfer: Data transfers within: (2) baud clocks for ASYNC communications; (15) baud clocks for SYNC communications. Digital Noise filtering on receivers, no latency issues.
- Receive/Transmit Buffers: 1MB Receive and Transmit buffers, per channel
- Mode of Operation: RS-232: Single Ended; RS-422: Differential; RS-485: Differential
- Drivers & Receivers fan out (typ max): RS-232: 1 driver and 1 receiver; RS-422: 1 driver and 10 receivers; RS-485: 32 driver/receiver pairs.
- Drv Out Sig Lvl (min) @ Drv Ld (max, min imp): RS-232: ±5 V @ 3 kΩ load; RS-422: ±2 V @ 100 Ω load; RS-485: ±1.5 V @ 54 Ω (max load)
- Max Driver Current in High-Z State (Power On): RS-232: N/A; RS-422: N/A; RS-485: 100 µA
- Max Driver Current in High-Z State (Power Off): RS-232: 6 mA @ ±2 V; RS-422: 100 µA; RS-485: 100 µA
- Receiver Input Voltage Range: RS-232: ±15 V; RS-422: -10 V to +10 V; RS-485: -7 V to +12 V
- Receiver Input Sensitivity: RS-232: ±3 V; RS-422: ±200 mV; RS-485: ±200 mV
- Receiver Input Resistance (typ) (Ohms): RS-232: 5k typ. (3k to 7k); RS-422: 125k (1/8-unit load) or 120 (termination enabled); RS-485: 125k (1/8-unit load) or 120 (termination enabled)
- Power (per 4 Channels): 5 VDC @ 200 mA, 360 mA fully loaded (54 Ω load per channel), (est.).
- Ground: ISOLATED individual channel GND/REF; isolated from System GND and Chassis
- Weight: 1.5 oz. (42 g)
Accelerate Your Time-to-Mission™ With COSA®
NAI’s Configurable Open Systems Architecture™ (COSA®) offers a choice of over 70 smart I/O, communication, and Ethernet switch functions, providing the highest package density and greatest flexibility of any multifunction I/O board in the industry. Preexisting, fully-tested functions can be combined quickly and easily in an unlimited number of ways. Choose the ideal platform for your application below. Each I/O function has dedicated processing, unburdening the system Single Board Computer (SBC) from unnecessary data management overhead.
Related COSA® Products
Single Board Computers
Nano Interface Units
Sensor Interface Units
Can’t find what you’re looking for?
North Atlantic's resource center is where you will find information on warranty and repairs, details of our Product Lifecycle Management and Configuration Management programs – and much more.Visit Resource Center