8 Serial Communication Channels, programmable RS-232/422/485 non-isolated
Serial Communication Module SC3 provides up to 8 high-speed, programmable RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, non-isolated communication channels. Each channel is programmable for either Serial Communications (SC) protocol or General Purpose I/O (GPIO) modes as either RS-422/485 (differential) or RS-232 (single ended) hardware level interfaces.
Each channel has one Transmit and one Receive signal pair (+/-) available as applicable. Synchronous (SYNC) communications mode (added feature) automatically configures the clock (clk) signal(s) on the companion pair channel: CH1-CH4 clk companion channels are CH5-CH8, respectively.
- Eight (8) high-speed, programmable RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, non-isolated communication channels
- General Purpose Input/Output (GPIO) mode
- Data transfers within two baud clocks for Async communications, 15 for Sync communications,
- Digital Noise filtering on Receivers
- A Receiver Enable/Disable function allows the user to turn selected receivers ON/OFF.
- Note: SC3 (Rev B) product update includes the additional synchronous (SYNC) mode functionality. The SC3 SYNC mode and function capability is available for products identified with DOM > 1/2020, Mod-HW ≥ Rev. B and FPGA/Firmware ≥ Rev. 00001.00003.
- Number of Channels/Types: Eight (8) high-speed, programmable RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, non-isolated. Each channel is programmable for either Serial Communications (SC) protocol or General Purpose I/O (GPIO) modes as either RS-422, RS-485 (differential) or RS-232 (single ended) hardware level interfaces. Each channel has one Tx and one Rx signal pair (±) available as applicable.
- Data Rate (SC Mode): RS422 and RS-485:1.5 Mbit/s for each channel in asynchronous differential mode (burst). RS-232: 250 KB/s. Data rate will be within 1% of commanded rate. Data can be read 4 µs after receipt in UART (typical bus transfer). These data rates are verified with all channels running simultaneously.
- Data Transfer (SC Mode): Data transfers within 300 ns, no latency issues.
- Receive/Transmit Buffers (SC Mode): Configurable Receive and Transmit buffers (up to 32 MB, aggregate).
- Mode of Operation: RS-232: Single Ended, RS-422: Differential, RS-485: Differential
- Number of Drivers & Receivers on one line max typ: RS-232: 1 driver and 1 receiver, RS-422: 1 driver and 10 receivers, RS-485: 32 drivers/receiver pairs.
- Maximum Data Rate: RS-232: 250 kb/s, RS-422: 1.5 Mb/s, async or 10 Mb/s sync, RS-485: 1.5 Mb/s async or 10 Mb/s sync.
- Driver Output Signal Level (Min Loaded): RS-232: ±5 V @ 3 kΩ load, RS-422: ±2 V @ 100 Ω load, RS-485: ±1.5 V @ 54 Ω load
- Driver Load Impedance (Ohms): RS-232: 3k (min.), RS-422: 100, RS-485: 54
- Max. Driver Current in High-Z State (Power On): RS-232: N/A, RS-422: N/A, RS-485: ±100 µA
- Max. Driver Current in High-Z State (Power Off): RS-232: ±6 mA @ ±2 V, RS-422: ±100 µA, RS-485: 100 µA
- Receiver Input Voltage Range: RS-232: ±15 V, RS-422: -10 V to +10 V, RS-485: -7 V to +12 V
- Receiver Input Sensitivity: RS-232: ±3 V, RS-422: ±200 mV RS-485: ±200 mV
- Receiver Input Resistance (Typ.) (Ohms): RS-232: 5k (3k to 7k), RS-422: 125k (1/8 unit load) 120 (term enabled), RS-485: 125k (1/8 unit load) 120 (term enabled)
- Power (Per 8-Channels): 5 VDC @ 200 mA, 360 mA fully loaded (54 Ω load per channel), (est.).
- Ground: Signal common referenced to system (power) ground (non-isolated).
- Weight: 1.5 oz. (42 g)
Accelerate Your Time-to-Mission™ With COSA®
NAI’s Configurable Open Systems Architecture™ (COSA®) offers a choice of over 70 smart I/O, communication, and Ethernet switch functions, providing the highest packaging density and greatest flexibility of any multifunction I/O board in the industry. Preexisting, fully-tested functions can be combined quickly and easily in an unlimited number of ways. Each I/O function has dedicated processing, unburdening the system Single Board Computer (SBC) from unnecessary data management overhead.
Related COSA® Products
Single Board Computers
Nano Interface Units
Can’t find what you’re looking for?
North Atlantic's resource center is where you will find information on warranty and repairs, details of our Product Lifecycle Management and Configuration Management programs – and much more.Visit Resource Center