4 Serial Communication Channels, multi-mode programmable, non-isolated
Module SC1 (legacy – reference SC3 for new programs) supports intelligent, full duplex, independent, multi-channels that can be individually software-configured for either RS-232C, RS-422, RS-485, RS-423 (w/data and/or clk bit inversion for MIL-STD-188C unbalanced interface support), or synchronous or asynchronous communications. SC7 is the same as SC1 except SC7 reallocates the pins used for CTS Flow Control as four (4) additional system grounds.
The module features four programmable channels. Each channel can be programmed into a Loop-Back mode that internally wraps the transmitter around the receiver without the need of external wiring. Each channel also has its own Transmit and Receive buffers and the total aggregate buffer allocation is user-configurable/programmable up to 32 MB.
The module can operate in an Interrupt-Driven Environment to provide notification of all events to the system. When a flow control mode is selected, the module performs the operation automatically with minimal system intervention. The module also can operate in Multi-Drop Link Mode, where the transmitters and receivers on up to 32 cards are tied together in either half- or full-duplex mode.
The architecture avoids latency problems because all data transfer is done in hardware rather than software. Any incoming data can be immediately extracted, no matter how many channels are active and regardless of the mode. A BREAK sequence capability is also incorporated. Bus data is transferred within 300 ns. The FPGA design simplifies programming and usage.
Note: For SC1, it is suggested to selected SC3 for new designs. For more information please contact factory.
- Each channel can be programmed into a Loop-Back mode that internally wraps the transmitter around the receiver without the need of external wiring.
- An additional asynchronous mode to support “Immediate Transmit” operation results in Serial Data Transmit Enhancement. Each channel has its own Transmit and Receive buffer where total aggregate buffer allocation is user configurable/programmable up to 64 MB.
- A Receiver Enable/Disable function allows the user to turn selected receivers ON/OFF.
- This serial card can operate in an Interrupt-Driven Environment to provide notification of all events to the system. When a flow control mode is selected, the serial card does the operation automatically with minimal system intervention.
- Multi-Drop Link Mode: The transmitter and receivers of up to 32 cards can be tied together in either Half or Full-Duplex mode.
- Number of Channels: 4 high-speed, fully programmable RS-232, RS-422, RS-485, RS-423 (w/ MIL-STD-188C unbalanced support), non-isolated channels.
- Data Rate (per channel unless otherwise specified): 10 (5) Mbps: SYNC/HDLC (if Manchester encoded), RS-422/485, 1.5 Mbps: ASYNC, RS-422/485 250 Kbps: RS-232/423 or MIL-STD-188C unbalanced. Data rate will be within 1% of commanded rate. Data can be read 4 µs after receipt in UART. These data rates are verified with all channels running simultaneously.
- Data Transfer: Data transfers within 300 ns; no latency issues.
- Receive/Transmit Buffers: Configurable Receive and Transmit buffers (up to 32 MB, aggregate). Accessed in 16-bit mode only.
- Power: 5 VDC at 350 mA per module (typ./est.) / Signals are non-isolated (referenced to system/power GND).
- Weight: 1.5 oz. (42 g)
- Note: For SC1, it is suggested to selected SC3 for new designs. For more information please contact factory.
- Note: SC7 is exactly the same as SC1 except SC7 reallocates the pins used for CTS Flow Control as 4 additional system grounds.
Accelerate Your Time-to-Mission™ With COSA®
NAI’s Configurable Open Systems Architecture™ (COSA®) offers a choice of over 70 smart I/O, communication, and Ethernet switch functions, providing the highest package density and greatest flexibility of any multifunction I/O board in the industry. Preexisting, fully-tested functions can be combined quickly and easily in an unlimited number of ways. Choose the ideal platform for your application below. Each I/O function has dedicated processing, unburdening the system Single Board Computer (SBC) from unnecessary data management overhead.
Related COSA® Products
Single Board Computers
Nano Interface Units
Sensor Interface Units
Can’t find what you’re looking for?
North Atlantic's resource center is where you will find information on warranty and repairs, details of our Product Lifecycle Management and Configuration Management programs – and much more.Visit Resource Center