16 A/D Channels (±1.25 to ±10.0 VDC FSR or ±25 mA) ; 16-bit SAR, 8 Chx2 A/D multiplexed
Module AD4 features 16 channels with up to 16-bit SAR A/D converters for one per 8 channel multiplexed bank / 2 banks. The maximum programmable, expected full-scale range input for the AD4 module is ±10.00, ±5.00, ±2.50 or 1.25 volts where range is -FS to +FS, 0 to FS VDC, or ±25 mA. The A/D converters have programmable sample rates of up to 500 kHz / Aggregate per bank of 8 Channels.
The input range and gain is also field-programmable for each channel. The ability to set lower expected, full-scale voltage gain ranges assures the use of the full resolution. Each channel includes a fixed, second order, anti-aliasing filter and a digital post filter with a programmable breakpoint that enables users to field-adjust the filtering for each channel.
The extended A/D FIFO buffering capabilities of these modules supports greater storage/management of the incoming signal samples (data) for post-processing applications. Data samples can be stored in the buffer either at the maximum programmed base A/D sample rate or by an integer-divided sample rate. Programmable FIFO buffer thresholds maximize data flow control (movement in and out of the FIFO). Incremental relative time-stamping between samples also is provided as a programmable option.
All A/D channels are self-aligning and continuous Background Built-in-Test (BIT) status is provided for channel health and operation feedback. On a rotating basis, each channel is automatically trimmed/tested for optimal conversion and reliability to eliminate offset and gain errors throughout the entire operating envelope (temperature and drift control). Open inputs are sensed and flagged.
- Number of Channels: 16
- ADC Type / Architecture: SAR / Multiplexed (2 x 8 Ch.)
- Key Characteristics Range (max): ±10 V / ±25 mA
- Effective Resolution Bits: 16
- Sampling Rate (max.): 500 kHz / Aggregate per bank of 8 Channels
- Resolution: 16-bit SAR A/D converters. One per 8 channel multiplexed bank / 2 banks.
- Input Format: Differential voltage (may be used as single-ended by grounding one input). Single direction DC current.
- Input Scaling: Sixteen (16) bipolar or unipolar channels (volts) or unipolar (current). Programmable, per channel, as Full Scale (FS) range inputs of 10.00, 5.00, 2.50 or 1.25 volts where range is -FS to +FS, 0 to FS VDC, or ±25 mA. The ability to set lower voltages for FS assures the utilization of the full resolution.
- Overvoltage Protection: No damage up to ±12 V continuous; ±30 V momentary
- Overcurrent Protection: 30 mA (When AD4 is set for current mode.)
- Open Input Sense: This module will sense and report unconnected inputs.
- Input Impedance: 10 MΩ min. / or 49.9 Ω current mode; 20 MΩ (Differential)
- Linearity/Accuracy: ±1.25 V or 0 to 1.25 V Range: ±0.1% + (±25 mV) All Other Ranges: ±0.1% FS range over temperature (voltage/current), no missing codes to 16-bits
- Gain Error: ±0.1% FS range (voltage mode) ±0.25% FS range (current mode)
- Offset Error: ±0.04% FS range or ±5 mV, the greater of (voltage mode) ±0.02% FS range (current mode)
- Integral Non-Linearity (INL): ±3 LSB’s max.
- Differential Non-Linearity (DNL): ±1 LSB’s max. (monotonic)
- Sampling Rate: 400 KSPS maximum aggregate, per bank of 8 channels, programmable. 500 KSPS pending.
- Data Buffering/Triggering: Programmable channel sampling scan (programmable for all (16) channels). Each channel per bank can be programmed for selective scanning sequence. See Operations Manual for details.
- Acquisition/Conversion Time: 3 µs / with filter – single channel scan.
- Throughput: 3 µs max. (between samples - time for data sample to propagate to data register) / with filter – single channel scan.
- Programmable Filter: Each channel incorporates a fixed second order anti-aliasing filter and a post filter that has a digitally adjustable break point (programmable from 10 Hz to 200 kHz in 10 Hz steps).
- Common Mode Rejection: 90 dB min. at 60 Hz. Roll off to 50 dB min. at 10 kHz.
- Common Mode Voltage: Signal voltage plus Common mode voltage is 10.5 volts. Note: A/D differential inputs must not “float”. Input source must have return path to ground.
- Output Logic: Bipolar output in two's complement Bipolar output range from FFFF 8000 max. negative; 0000 7FFF is max. positive (FS) Unipolar output range from 0 to 0000 FFFF (FS) (Voltage Ranges only)
- ESD Protection: Designed to meet the testing requirements of IEC 801-2 Level 2. (4 kV transient with a peak current of 7.5 A and a Tc of approximately 60 ns)
- Power: 5 VDC @ 100 mA or 150 mA max (typ. / max.); +12 VDC @ 220 mA or 330 mA (typ. / max.)
- Ground: Channel inputs are differential, referenced to isolated module AGND (or Common Mode Reference Point (CMRP) – Ch.16(-)) isolated (250 V minimum peak isolation) from system power/ground.
- Weight: 1.5 oz. (42 g)
Accelerate Your Time-to-Mission™ With COSA®
NAI’s Configurable Open Systems Architecture™ (COSA®) offers a choice of over 70 smart I/O, communication, and Ethernet switch functions, providing the highest packaging density and greatest flexibility of any multifunction I/O board in the industry. Preexisting, fully-tested functions can be combined quickly and easily in an unlimited number of ways. Each I/O function has dedicated processing, unburdening the system Single Board Computer (SBC) from unnecessary data management overhead.
Related COSA® Products
Single Board Computers
Nano Interface Units
Can’t find what you’re looking for?
North Atlantic's resource center is where you will find information on warranty and repairs, details of our Product Lifecycle Management and Configuration Management programs – and much more.Visit Resource Center