See SC-X for newest architecture.
For multifunction embedded boards, this sophisticated high-speed communications module supports intelligent, full duplex communications that can be individually software-configured for either RS-232C, RS-422, or RS-485 Synchronous or Asynchronous Communication. The architecture avoids latency problems because all data transfer is done in hardware and not in software. Any incoming data, no matter how many RS-232C, RS-422, or RS-485 Synchronous or Asynchronous channels are active, in whatever mode, can be immediately extracted. A BREAK sequence capability is also incorporated. Bus Data is transferred within 300 ns. FPGA design simplifies programming and usage.
- An Internal Loop Back Self-Test is performed when power is applied, and results are stored in registers. Each channel can be programmed into a Loop Back mode that internally wraps the transmitter around the receiver without the need of external wiring.
- An additional asynchronous mode to support “Immediate Transmit” operation results in Serial Data Transmit Enhancement. Each channel has its own 32 Kbyte Transmit and Receive buffer.
- A Receiver Enable/Disable function allows the user to turn selected receivers ON/OFF.
- This serial card can operate in an Interrupt Driven Environment to provide notification of all events to the system. When a flow control mode is selected, the serial card does the operation automatically with minimal system intervention.
- Multi-Drop Link Mode. The transmitter and receivers of up to 32 cards can be tied together in either Half or Full Duplex mode.